Terms of Service

This Membership brochure contains RoadCover’s hotline number and advice if you are ever involved in an accident in which you are injured and want to know what you need to do to launch a claim against the RAF.

In the extent of a motor vehicle accident in which you are injured, your membership of RC entitles you to the following:

  • Telephonic assistance and advice explaining what is necessary to prepare a claim for presentation to the RAF;
  • Arrange for an initial assessment if required with a qualified and experienced RC assessor;
  • All Legal reports and assessments;
  • All medico-legal assessments and reports;
  • Case management of the claim;
  • All administration required for the presentation of a “bona fide” claim as determined and arranged by RC.

When you are involved in a motor accident in which there was bodily injury you will need the following information for the RAF:

  • Date and time of the accident;
  • The accident report – SAPS and/or traffic department reports and case numbers;
  • Medical report from the first doctor who saw you after the accident;
  • The names and addresses and telephone numbers of witnesses;
  • Photographs of the accident and injuries if possible;
  • Comprehensive insurance details if applicable;
  • Medical and Hospital accounts;
  • Certified copies of ID documents.


  • Phone RoadCover (O860 RCOVER / 0860 726 837) during office hours (8.30am to 4.30pm during weekdays) and give the particulars of your case. Your membership will be verified. You will be given a case number and referred to an assessing RoadCover legal practitioner for assessment.
  • After the consultation you will be informed by the RC practitioner of the merits of your claim and a view will be given as to the worth of proceeding with the claim.
  • If you wish to proceed with the claim (and it is agreed to by RC), RC will arrange all the necessary consultations and opinions that — in the Claims Manager’s view — you require for your claim. This includes additional legal consultations and reports, medico-legal opinions and medico-legal reports and actuarial opinions for loss of earnings consequent to your injuries.
  • RC will assist you with all the necessary administrative support and documentation preparation for your submission.
  • An assessment of the medical expenses incurred as a direct result of your injury will be
    done to ensure a balanced and fair medical claim.
  • The claim will then be finalized and collated and with your permission, presented on your behalf to the RAF for settlement.
  • RC will attend to all reasonable queries or requests for further particulars that the RAF might require in pursuit of settlement of the claim and which are reasonable.


  • We will limit our services where the assessor does not substantiate the merits of the case. If this is in conflict with the view of the member or there is a material conflict between the member’s assessment and the assessors, the case will be referred to the RC advisory panel for review.
  • RC is not responsible for the costs of any of the above points. Any costs incurred from a member, being approached by an outside party without the written consent of RC, will not be honoured.
  • The member is at all times free to get outside second opinions but the cost of these will not be borne by RC unless approved in writing.
  • The member is not obliged to use the services of RC in the event of which RC will not be liable for any costs incurred by these parties.
  • The RC service is only available for accidents that occur in the RSA.
  • The member must be fully paid-up and eligible for its services at the time of the motor accident.
  • At the time of the accident the member must comply with all the legal and regulatory matters required by the Acts governing the RAF.
  • RoadCover does not guarantee performance from the RAF.


  • If the identity of the offending driver or owner is known, the claim must be lodged within 3 years from the date on which the claim arose. If the identity of the offending driver or owner is unknown, the claim must be lodged within 2 years from the date on which the claim arose.
  • Property damage cannot be claimed from the Fund.
  • An accident must be reported to the police and the Fund by the driver/owner.
  • Compensation will be reduced in relation to claimant’s own negligence.
  • Compensation received from the Compensation Commissioner in a case where a person is injured on duty, is deductible.
  • The Fund may require a person to submit to investigations and medical examinations.
  • A claim may be excluded in a case where a claimant unreasonably refuses or fails to cooperate with the Fund in the course of its investigation.
  • A minimal monthly administration fee of R6.50 is included in your monthly membership.